LTA Immigration Endorsement Policy

The Lawn Tennis Association (LTA) is the Home Office’s recognised Governing Body for setting the endorsement requirements and issuing endorsements for clubs and sportspeople in tennis in the United Kingdom.

Under this points based system, tennis clubs will need to obtain a sponsor licence from the Home Office in order to bring sportspersons and coaches from outside the United Kingdom. Clubs must first obtain from the LTA a Governing Body Endorsement BOTH for their sponsor licence and for individual players and coaches.

The LTA’s Governing Body endorsements are only issued subject to satisfactory compliance with all immigration regulations, UK legislation, the principles of the Points-Based System and in accordance with LTA’s Governing Body Endorsement Policy. Each endorsement will be considered against the relevant requirements and the information provided to the LTA at the time of the request. The information provided to the LTA may be disclosed to UKVI in the event that they investigate the LTA’s processes and procedures.

The LTA’s Governing Body Endorsement Policy explains the LTA’s endorsement criteria and application process.

This policy is to be used for all Tier 2 and Tier 5 governing body endorsement requests made on or after the 28 April 2021. The requirements will be reviewed annually.

UKVI Points Based System

Under the UKVI points based system, migrants need to pass a points-based assessment before they are given permission to enter or remain in the United Kingdom. The current system consists of five tiers. Each tier has different point requirements. Points are awarded to reflect the migrant’s ability, age and when appropriate the level of need within the sector the migrant will be working.

For more information on the points-based system please refer to the UKVI website.

The applicable Tiers in which sportspeople and coaches can enter the UK to live and work in a professional capacity for a club are known as Tier 2 (Sportsperson) and Tier 5 (Temporary Worker - Creative & Sporting).

  • The Tier 2 (Sportsperson) category of the points based system is for elite sports people and coaches who are internationally established at the highest level, whose employment will make a significant contribution to the development of their sport at the highest level in the UK and who intend to base themselves in the UK. If you intend to come to the UK as a sportsperson for a short period you should apply under the Tier 5 (Temporary worker - creative and sporting) category outlined below.
  • The Tier 5 (Temporary worker - creative and sporting) category of the points based system is for internationally established sports people at the highest level in their sport and/or whose employment must make a significant contribution to the development and operation of that particular sport in the UK. It is also for coaches who must be suitably qualified to fulfil the role in question. This is for temporary workers who come to the UK for up to 12 months.

Clubs who wish to recruit migrant players and/or coaches for either of the above Tiers must first apply for a sponsor licence with the UKVI as soon as possible. This application process will need to be endorsed by the LTA, please refer to the LTA Governing Body Endorsement Policy for further information regarding applying for an LTA Governing Body Endorsement.

Visiting the UK for Sport

In addition to issuing endorsements for clubs and sportspeople, the LTA may also provide a letter of invitation for players and/or agents of world ranked players and/or business visitors. This letter may be necessary to assist with appropriate UK visa entry for the individual on a sports visitor or business visitor basis.

The LTA will not provide specific advice to visitors on immigration matters.

Foreign nationals intending to visit the UK are advised to refer to the UKVI website for further information on whether they will need to obtain a visa before travelling to the UK:

Guidance on the type of visa and documents required in support of an application for a visitor visa is available on the following links: